Doug Barr is the Director at Bach to Rock Arlington Heights and Northbrook. As an Illinois native, he studied Music Education at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Euphonium Performance at Samford University, and Euphonium and Trombone Performance at the University of New Mexico. He has performed extensively, including the United States Army Band Conference, Drum Corps International Finals at Lucas Oil Stadium, and the Grand Ole Opry. Some of his favorite musical memories include touring Italy as a Euphonium Soloist and competing at the Fischoff National Chamber Music Competition. Doug is thrilled to help students of any age pursue their musical passions.
Staff & Music Teachers
Sara Stocking, Assistant Director, a native of Northbrook, first started learning about music at age 3 when she began taking piano lessons. Ever since then, her love for music has grown to include guitar, ukulele, and most of all voice. Having been an active participant in theatre growing up as well as a member of several choirs and A Capella groups, she was always surrounded by music. Sara has studied under several esteemed Chicago musicians, such as Bobbi Wilsyn, Typhanie Monique, and Derek Fawcett at Columbia College Chicago. Ever since she was 15 and started writing music, she knew that she wanted to make music her job and is overjoyed to have to opportunity to share her love and knowledge of music with all her students at Bach to Rock!
Carlos (CJ) S., one of our music specialists, has been involved in music since middle school. He played percussion and sang in choir until high school. He then decided to solely focus on vocals and performed in many honor and a Capella choirs including the IMEA sectional choir. After high school, he taught himself guitar and took college classes in piano. He performed in many rock bands on vocals, piano, and guitar and has been on stage at Clearwater Theatre, Illinois State Fair, Durty Nellies, and the House of Blues. He studied music education at Harper College and Metro State College of Denver and was selected to the National Honor Choir. He also has experience in musical theatre performing in Jesus Christ Superstar as Annas, and Rent as Paul. He was a choir director from 2012-2020. Previously he was the music director for the Boys and Girls Club of Dundee Township. His honor choir called “Blue Voices” had the privilege of being selected to perform at regional events, Sears Center, Rokhaus in Dundee, Allstate Arena, and live on Star 105.5. He hopes to spread his passion and is honored to be a part of the Bach to Rock team.
- Individual instruction with proprietary curriculum
- Students are motivated by playing with others in a band
- A band builds teamwork, develops social skills, fosters self-esteem and leads to lasting friendships.
- Everyone learns faster playing music they like
- Students are motivated to learn when they see early results
- Introducing very young children to music supports cognitive development and motor skills.
- A well-balanced music education consists of Music Theory, Technique and Repertoire.
- Students learn faster playing music they like.
- Simplified versions of modern songs allow students to see results more quickly.
- Audio recordings of each simplified arrangement are available to students. This allows them to hear how their part should sound.
- Lessons are catered to the needs of each student's learning style.